Jeanette Terry from Wild Abandon Kitchen is joining us today and we're talking tomatoes! Here's Jeanette's recipe for summery tomato pie.
Tomato season is upon us and our house couldn't be happier. While a BLT or even just sliced tomatoes as a side dish are an easy way we enjoy these summertime beauties, every now and then I treat us to this decadent tomato pie recipe courtesy of Paula Deen. It's rich and delicious and a definite treat.
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie shell, pre baked
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.
***I typically make my pie shell from scratch, but store bought shells work very well in this recipe also.